|Read Write Inc.|
Here at Shiney Row Primary School we are committed to every child learning to read as quickly as possible. We are extremely proud of our high achieving Phonics Screening Check results in Year 1. We follow Ruth Miskin's 'Read Write Inc Phonics' programme daily.
Read Write Inc is a method of learning centred on letter sounds and phonics, blending them together to read and write words and using these learnt sounds in reading and writing. Using Read Write Inc children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into composing what they write.
Children are assessed and grouped according to their ability and they work with a teacher or teaching assistant on the Read Write Inc programme. The children are continuously assessed by the Read Write Inc lead teachers, to ensure that they move through the programme at a good pace. At the end of each half term children are assessed and then put into new groups according to their phonics knowledge and fluency when reading. All members of staff are fully trained to deliver this approved program.
The children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words using sound blending (Fred Talk)
- Read lively stories featuring words that they have learnt to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering the 'Find It' and 'Prove It' discussion questions
The children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes (Fred Fingers)
- Learn to say and write simple and then more complex sentences
- Compose stories based on picture scripts
- Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
Children are assessed so they work with children at the same level. This allows them to take full part in all lessons.
The children work in pairs to:
- answer every question
- practice every activity with a partner
- take turns in talking to each other
- give positive praise
For more information about Read Write Inc and supporting your child at home, please see the links below:
What can I do to help?
Please visit http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Here you will find a series of information and tutorial videos explaining the basics of Read Write Inc phonics. The videos will help you support your child at home.