|Vacancies For Governors at Shiney Row Primary School|
School currently has vacancies for 2 parent governors. If you would like to help make a valued contribution to the way our school operates then please read the information for prospective parent governors listed below and contact the School Office for application information.
Definition of a Parent Governor
An elected Parent Governor is a person with parental responsibility (see definition of a parent) who is elected as a member of the Governing Body of the school by parents of registered pupils (including nursery pupils) at the school, and who is such a parent at the time when elected.
Definition of a Parent
The Children Act 1989 introduces the concept of parental responsibility. The following have parental responsibility:
- all natural mothers, except where the child is subsequently adopted;
- all natural fathers married to the child's mother at the time of birth, or subsequently;
- natural fathers who have obtained parental responsibility by court order, formal agreement lodged at court, or residence order;
- adoptive parents;
- guardians appointed by will or agreement;
- all persons holding a residence order.
Any questions as to whether a person is to be treated as a parent of a registered pupil at the school is to be determined by the Local Authority. In the first instance, however, a provisional view can be received from the Headteacher.
New restrictions mean that anyone employed in any capacity in school for 500 hours or more per year will no longer be eligible to serve as a Parent Governor. An elected member of the Authority is also not eligible to serve as an elected Parent Governor.
DBS CHECKS - It should be noted that appointment of a Parent Governor will be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.